You can get in touch with this author at:
Choosing an assisted living community for an elderly loved one is an important commitment. There are many factors to consider such as their care needs, health and nutrition, socialization and activities, and their independence.
With their evolving conditions, they might need more assistance every day. In fact, 1 in 5 U.S. adults age 85+ say they either need or currently receive help with activities of daily living (ADLs). Is there a way they could be cared for while still maintaining independence? Certainly! It’s called assisted living.
What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is a type of housing designed for people, mostly elder adults, who need various levels of medical and personal care. In these facilities, they can choose their living spaces between individual rooms, apartments, or shared quarters. The facility generally provides a home-like setting, with specialized functions and designs to help senior residents navigate independently and safely. Services are offered to assist residents with daily living.
What Services Do Assisted Living Provide?
The services in assisted living facilities vary from place to place. But simply put, assisted living communities give older adults personalized care in a residential setting. These are usually for seniors whose health and well-being require more support, which is determined through a health assessment.
Needing help with activities of daily living (ADLs) is the most common reason seniors choose assisted living. The most common services offered include medication management, assistance with using the bathroom, dressing and grooming, housekeeping, meals, laundry, and transportation services. Social programs and activities are typically compounded.
→ Check out our Blue Skies of Laguna Hills – Assisted Living.
What an Assisted Living Facility Doesn’t Provide
Assisted living is different from skilled nursing or nursing home care. In a nursing facility, residents receive full-time care provided by specially trained medical personnel.
People who require a higher level of medical care, whether short-term or long-term, might need skilled nursing care, extended care, or long-term care. You may also encounter the term supportive services, which is designed to care specifically for developmentally challenged adults.
→ Check out our Blue Skies of Oceanside – Assisted Living
What Should I Look for in an Assisted Living Community?
When you and your family explore and evaluate assisted living options, be sure to find out about these to help you decide:
- Registration and license
- Medical emergency protocol
- Comprehensive contract agreement
- Clear costing and payment protocols
- Staff qualifications and capacity
- Culture in the facility among the residents and staff
- Feedback and reviews from residents
- Meal plans, menu, and other dining arrangements
- Common areas and recreational rooms
- Large enough rooms for your family member’s needs
- Clear floor plans
- Security and safety systems
- Well-lit stairs and hallways with well-marked exits
- Rooms and bathrooms with handrails and call buttons
- Safety locks on doors and windows
- Security and fire safety systems
- Services such as banking, a beauty salon or a café
- Policy on medication
- Arrangements with nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, or another specialist, if needed
- Pet policy
You Are Welcome at Blue Skies Homes!
We all want what is best for our elderly adults. So take the time to do your research and walk through these considerations, before committing to a facility. This will save you from frustrations, stress, and resources. Ultimately, the choice of assisted living falls on the needs and wants of your loved one.
You are always welcome to walk through the doors of Blue Skies Homes. We invite you to contact our branches today, and we would be happy to walk you through the process. We can’t wait to welcome you to your new home!
Recommended Assisted Living Locations:
- Blue Skies of Tri-city – Assisted living
3218 Mira Mesa Ave, Oceanside, CA 92056, United States
- Blue Skies of Temecula – Assisted Living
45410 Bayberry Pl, Temecula, CA 92592, United States
- Blue Skies of San Marcos – Assisted Living
1119 Via Vera Cruz, San Marcos, CA 92078, United States
- Blue Skies of Oceanside – Assisted Living
322 Keyport St, Oceanside, CA 92057, United States
- Blue Skies of Laguna Niguel – Assisted Living
25437 Via Estudio, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677, United States
- Blue Skies of Laguna Hills – Assisted Living
25811 Tree Top Rd, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, United States